Thursday, August 20, 2009

my idea of a good time...

I am shocked and at times appalled at what people will charge you for food these days. I understand that farmers need money and better ingredients mean better food but what are we really paying for? Are Wendy's commercials right? are we paying for the flair? the idea that you walk into a restaurant and it has its interior designed like an old villa, there are bottles of wine in view, and oil bottles organized like art, means that you have to pay for it all in the end is absurd. Even if that place offers endless soup, salad and bread sticks, I still don't want to pay like I just took some one out to propose. I don't think of myself as cheap. I am living within my means at the moment and shouldn't have to suffer because of it. I cant believe I'm about to say this... but I think the French have got something.

I am referring to "Fooding". According to doubletongued.org, a dictionary (I think,) fooding is defined as:
A restauranting trend which emphasises food as a style choice, usually via new
or fusion cuisines in combinations or factors not related to food, such as a
unique or trendy atmosphere.

In short, what this means is that you don't need the black tie to get a black tie meal. This all came about because there were more chefs arriving in the work place with classical and gourmet training and not enough gourmet positions to accommodate them all. These brave men and women then began to open their own restaurants with minimum funds. Imaging a bar that served you prime rib and fillet mignon, roast duck, and subtle cuisines that you only see on iron chef, yet at a price the matched the atmosphere. You could enjoy this presentation with a beer watching a sporting event. That is what I'm talking about.

I say we all need to stop putting such a price on aesthetics. I understand that with food like fajitas we buy the sizzle, not the steak, but do we have to pay outrageously to enjoy a 3 dollars worth of skirt steak, tortilla and veggies? Don't abandon your favorite restaurant, just make sure you are getting what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment